Web Accessibility Specialist
New Brunswick, New Jersey,USA
Web Accessibility Specialist
Job Category Staff & Executive - Information Technology
Department OIT-Enterprise IT Client Services
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University–New Brunswick took root nearly 250 years ago. We are the state’s most comprehensive intellectual resource—the flagship campus of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, as designated by the Association of American Universities. We are the region’s most high-profile public research institution and a leading national research center with a global impact.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Web Accessibility Specialist for the Office of Information Technology. The Web Accessibility Specialist is responsible for providing the University web development community with expert guidance and support related to web accessibility.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Provides web accessibility training and support to the University’s web development community.
• Performs accessibility audits of institutional websites and web applications and respond accordingly.
• Maintains the University’s Web Accessibility website and help documentation.
• Evaluates websites, web development tools, and web applications under consideration for purchase.
• Conducts evaluations, providing training, and assisting with the remediation of identified web accessibility issues to bring the Universities web presence into compliance with the W3C WCAG 2.0 standards, ADA, Section 508, and other accessibility related laws.
• Tests, evaluates, and recommends web accessibility related software and assist with designing web accessibility best practices for the University.
Position Status Full Time
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Annual Minimum Salary 54929.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 69485.000
Annual Maximum Salary 84041.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
• Requires a bachelor’s degree; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience in web development/design, information technology, computer science, human computer interaction or other related field from an accredited college or university required
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Extensive knowledge and experience with WCAG 2.0 accessibility standards and guidelines
• Experience with accessibility audit and quality assurance tools and processes
• Effective written and oral communication skills
• Must have extensive knowledge in web communication accessibility barriers
• Ability to work under deadlines, plan, organize, and execute multiple and continuing assignments.
• Knowledge of disability law including but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (Section 504)
• Experience developing and delivering training workshops and webinars
• 1-2 years working web development or IT
• Demonstrable knowledge of Wordpress, Drupal, And other CMSs
• Experience working with Adobe creative suite, PHP, HTML, CSS, and XML. Experience in web auditing and/or project management
• Extensive knowledge and experience with web content management systems (Wordpress, Drupal, and Joomla)
• Extensive knowledge and experience with assistive technologies (JAWS, VoiceOver, Dragon NaturallySpeaking)
• Experience with web accessibility testing tools like Deque WorldSpace Comply, Compliance Sheriff, and Siteimprove
Salary Range: $54929 - $69485