Assistant Director of Digital Accessibility & User Experience
University of Wisconsin
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
* Three years of progressively responsible experience leading or managing a group of professional staff, including successful implementation of long- and short-term planning efforts.
* Three years of leadership in digital accessibility and/or user experience design arenas including management of multiple projects/initiatives with multiple stakeholders and diverse end-users.
* Demonstrate a strong understanding of digital accessibility as it pertains to the federal, state, and campus regulations and guidelines, and across the design, development, and procurement life cycle.
* Experience developing and managing strategic plans.
* Demonstrated experience with interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills with the ability to work across a large organization, lead cross-functional teams, and influence without direct authority.
* An advanced degree (such as but not limited to User Experience, Human Computer Interaction, Library/Information Systems, or Computer Science).
* Entrepreneurial and/or innovation experience; a record of strategic innovation and proactively creating and pursuing opportunities.
* Experience working within complex environments and navigating multiple stakeholders with conflicting priorities.
* Experience in higher education and digital products and services.
* Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills with a high degree of energy, initiative, and organizational ability.
40% Lead the Digital Accessibility & User Experience Center
* Create a UW-Madison digital accessibility and user experience strategic plan to define a desired future state, identify gaps in current state, and prioritize impactful, efficient solutions to promote and sustain the accessibility and usability of information technology at UW-Madison.
* Develop and implement Digital Accessibility & User Experience Center budgets, plans, policies, procedures, and guidelines in coordination with the Communications Director, CIO, and campus, and that align with federal standards and guidelines.
* Serve as an advocate for and ensure that the needs of users--and especially people with disabilities--are represented in campus IT projects, key strategies, decisions, and integrated into the design, development, and procurement/selection of digital resources.
* Develop, evolve, and implement policies and procedures in support of digital accessibility. Propose and publicize user experience design standards and best practices.
* Develop and maintain partnerships with campus to understand and amplify their challenges and seek solutions to support them.
25% Manage Center services and projects
* Plan and manage services in alignment with Center priorities. Develop, implement, and research forward thinking services that meet the needs of students, faculty, and staff and that align with stakeholder and campus objectives.
* Meet with partners and clients to promote digital accessibility and user experience services, and to ensure that services are oriented to the needs of campus.
* Develop new campus relationships and strengthen existing ones.
* Work with staff to help them manage projects, their workload, and pipeline.
* Keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and solutions for digital accessibility, including knowledge of disability law related to IT accessibility (as it applies to higher education), and knowledge of state and national IT accessibility resources.
* Provide support to McBurney Disability Resource Center, Office for Equity and Diversity, and campus in designing reasonable accessibility accommodations for students, faculty, and staff.
25% Supervise Center staff
* Recruit, hire, direct, manage, mentor, and coach staff.
* Evaluate employee performance and submit performance evaluations annually. Establish goals, counsel employees, take appropriate disciplinary action, acknowledge or provide formal recognition for good performance.
* Work with employees to outline annual professional development plans. Facilitate development opportunities to fulfill plans.
* Encourage and promote successful working relationships among staff to promote productivity and staff retention. Negotiate and resolve conflicts to maintain and effective and professional work environment.
* Ensure team compliance with group, department, and Division standards. Initiate changes to existing group policies and standards to improve service to partners and/or increase effectiveness of team.
10% Engage in professional development and outreach
* As a professional in this area, help to develop and share the body of knowledge associated with the profession with higher education and public sector peers. Participate on relevant committees, task forces, and councils at the national, regional, system and university level.
* Participate in campus leadership team meetings to discuss priorities, opportunities, and accessibility and user experience issues, as well as with other leadership/management issues.
* Pursue continuing education and professional development.
* Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, respect, and ethical practices in alignment with DoIT's Mission and Foundational Principles.
Please Note: DoIT is unable to provide sponsorship for this position.
A criminal background check will be conducted prior to hiring.
Full Time Salary Rate: Minimum $85,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Appointment percent: 100%
Anticipated begin date: JUNE 10, 2018
Number of Positions: 1
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION
Application must be received by: MAY 15, 2018
HOW TO APPLY:
Please click on the Apply Now button to start the application process. In order to be considered for this position, applicants must upload a resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should specifically address the Required Qualifications listed in the Relevant Work Experience section.
Questions about the position can be directed to:
1210 W Dayton St
2118 Computer Sciences
Madison, WI 53706-1613
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
If you need to request an accommodation because of a disability you can find information about how to make a request at the following website: http://www.oed.wisc.edu/478.htm
NOTE: Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, the names of applicants must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality. In the case where there are fewer than five finalists, the names of the five most qualified candidates must be released upon request.
UW-Madison is required by law to request data from applicants for employment in order to monitor its recruitment and selection practices. In order for us to meet this federal reporting requirement, please go to http://www.oed.wisc.edu/reports-and-forms.htm to fill out the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form and the Applicant Self-Identification Form for Protected Veterans. Please reference the Position Vacancy Number when uploading your completed forms. Completing these forms is voluntary and your responses will be kept confidential and is not considered as part of the hiring criteria.
UW-Madison is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
Feedback, questions or accessibility issues: email@example.com
Salary Range: $85000 - $85000